Creative Activation Forum

Barter System Newsletter

October 2005, Issue 1

Updates

Hello, and welcome to the first ever Barter System Newsletter. Think of this as your own community space, free advertising/marketing for your services and/or stuff, your news source for info on the Barter System, and a space to use as you’d like. Please get in touch with me, Amber Phalen, at barter@face.org.za if you’d like to add any information or ask any questions.

Thanks to all who attended the Forum meeting on the 10th of September. We discussed some of the logistics and the future name of the Forum. The working title was agreed on as the Creative Activation Forum.

The barter system was also discussed and it was agreed that a combination of hours and points should be used for the system “currency”. This means that we can either convert hours spent giving a service (i.e. a 2 hour massage session will equal 2 points in the system) or we can value our own service or stuff as we see fit (i.e. I feel that my work is worth 2 points so therefore this is the rate at which I advertise my services). This is particularly helpful when it comes to converting items offered (e.g. blankets, lamps, old CDs) or accommodation (e.g. 5 points for an evening spent at my Cape Town home; 6 points for the use of my office and telephone for a day). Please send through your questions or suggestions for the set up of the currency and policies of this system and we’ll create this thing together!

Membership

Since this is the first newsletter I get to be selfish by offering my services first! I’m a graphic designer/desktop publisher as well as an editor and writer. I photograph, assist in resume/CV writing, and make a darned tasty apple pie. ;) Give me a shout if you’d like a hand with any of your publications, 083 282 1297 or amberwriter@fastmail.fm.

While I still haven’t totally worked out the details of the “currency” we will use for the Barter System, please send through your membership forms and I’ll make sure to add the services you’re offering to the next newsletter.

Events

Any events that are coming up for the next month can be added here. I will be updating the newsletter by the 20th of each month and will have it out to Forum members within that week. Please ensure that your event details are sent to me before the 20th and in exchange, you get some free publicity – all that is as easy as an email to barter@face.org.za!

· Updates

· Membership

· Events

· Bartering Network Application Form

Bartering Network Application Form

Name:

Organisation (if applicable):

Phone          (Work):  

(Home):

(Cellular):

Email:

Postal Address:  

Skills

Stuff

Office/ rehearsal space

Accommodation

What you can offer:

What you need:

Upcoming events/workshops/trainings/jobs:

This is not an online form, please email or post your information to barter@face.org.za or Amber Phalen, PO Box 5665, JHB, 2000. I prefer email as it’s easier and faster for me to access, but mailed applications are also accepted.